« Older   Newer »
MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/1/2009, 15:00

thankss xx

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/1/2009, 16:56

Torres: I Want Us To Be Heroes
17th January 2009

Fernando Torres is happy to admit he arrived at Liverpool dreaming of Champions League glory - but he now has his sights firmly set on helping the Reds end their long wait for the Premier League title.

Torres - who is likely to start against Everton on Monday night after recovering from a hamstring strain - is keen to fire the Reds to top spot in May to ensure Rafael Benitez's squad of 2008-09 are forever written into the club's history.

After arriving in the summer of 2007 Torres reveals his dream was winning a European medal - but the fans soon impressed upon him what the main target was.

"No, no, the Premier League, we must win the Premier League," he recalled. "So now I feel that way, too. I know about this club. I know how important it is to win the Premier League after 19 years. I know that if Manchester United win the League this season it will be 18 titles for us and 18 for them, so we cannot let that happen.

"I know that even though Chelsea and Arsenal are top teams, our biggest match of any season is with Manchester United. I know how important it is to win against Everton, too.

"I imagine to win the League here would be like winning the European Championship with Spain after 44 years. We became heroes of the country, just 23 people.

"There were 15 kilometres from the airport to the heart of Madrid and it was like a red sea, millions of people in the city centre all with Spanish flags, people stopping dead on the opposite side of the motorway to cheer us as we went by, getting out of their cars, standing on their cars.

"It was strange. After the first game when we beat Russia 4-1, I did think it could be like every other tournament for us, when we start by playing well, but then nothing happens.

"Then when we won our other group games we began to believe in ourselves and the turning point was against Italy in the quarter-finals. Throughout history, Italy beat Spain. We have the game, we have the players, but we always lose.

"And then, when we beat Italy, and on penalties, I think we celebrated more than we did when we won the Final, because we knew. That was the key.

"It is the same with Liverpool. Winning at Chelsea, winning against Manchester United, these are the results that give us belief — then, if we get a result at Old Trafford in March, it will be our Italy game."

siumasg
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 03:50

"No, no, the Premier League, we must win the Premier League," he recalled.

Go Torres!
Go Liverpool!

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 09:26

thank emma .. i was juss goin to post it again ..thnak god i saw it before ...

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 10:34

haha no worries :D xx

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 10:48

HUNT: WHY TORRES CAN LAND NUMBER 19

Roger Hunt believes the return of Fernando Torres can help fire Liverpool to their first title since 1990.
The club's all-time leading scorer in the league is convinced the Spaniard will give Rafael Benitez's side the edge in the second-half of the season and is tipping his former team to end the campaign with championship number 19.

"They can reclaim top spot if they beat Everton and this is the best chance they have had in a long time. I think they can win it and I think they will win it," Hunt said in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv.

"When Liverpool drop points the other teams don't seem to take advantage and with Torres now coming back to fitness, I expect them to go from strength to strength.

"Fernando has had a stop-start season so far, but if he stays fit and gets his form back, then it can only benefit us because he has that extra bit of pace and ability to get a goal out of nothing. With him playing regularly up top, I think we'll have a great chance."

Since his arrival from Atletico Madrid last summer, El Nino has developed a lethal partnership with skipper Steven Gerrard.

It is an understanding Hunt feels could be crucial again this season, and he is also backing Robbie Keane to show his best form in the title run-in.

"Torres has a very good understanding with Gerrard and I think that can be key," he said. "But it's not just Gerrard who can form a partnership with him. I thought when we first signed Keane that he would develop a good link with Torres because he is such a clever player.

"Some say it hasn't quite come off yet, but I think Keane has shown glimpses of what he is capable of. He's scored some goals recently against the likes of Arsenal and Bolton and I think he can still have a big say in the latter stages of the season."

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 11:30

thanks for thiss xx

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 12:06

Anfield Derbies: The Last Five
18th January 2009

There will be more than local pride at stake when Liverpool host their Mersey rivals on Monday night and bid to regain top spot. Here's what happened the last five times Everton visited Anfield.

Liverpool 1-0 Everton
Premier League – March 2008

Fernando Torres bagged his 28th goal of the season to move Liverpool five points clear of Everton in the race for Champions League qualification. The goal came after seven minutes after Xabi Alonso robbed Yakubu on the edge of the visitors' box before a Dirk Kuyt touch sent his strike partner through. Tim Howard made himself big but Torres gave him no chance with a cool finish into the bottom corner. The number nine had now scored in six consecutive home games, equalling a club record shared by Fred Pagnam (1919), Roger Hunt (1964), Ian Rush (1983) and Michael Owen (1999).

Liverpool 0-0 Everton
Premiership – February 2007

The result meant Liverpool had not conceded in eight league games, and it was now 28 points from 33 for Rafa's Reds, but the afternoon still ended with thoughts of what might have been. The hosts fairly laid siege to the Everton goal but, hampered by heavy fog, they just couldn't break down a stubborn Blue rearguard. Craig Bellamy had a 10th minute strike chalked off for offside, while Alonso, Peter Crouch, Steven Gerrard and Kuyt all came close. Ultimately, though, fans left Anfield contemplating a 14-point gap to front runners Man Utd and Chelsea.

Liverpool 3-1 Everton
Premiership – March 2006

Eleven bookings, four goals, two sendings off, one satisfying own-goal and, at the end of it all, three more points for the Reds. The drama began on 17 minutes when Gerrard kicked the ball away, earning himself a yellow card. A minute later the skipper gave referee Phil Dowd little option but to flash a red following a rash tackle on Kevin Kilbane. Liverpool responded admirably and, driven on by the Kop, slowly began to gain a foothold on the game. The pressure paid off on the stroke of half-time, Phil Neville heading a Alonso corner into his own net. And if Neville's intervention had ensured a happy half time for those wearing Red, Luis Garcia's goal two minutes after the break almost took the roof off Anfield. There seemed little danger for Everton as the Reds worked the ball down the right flank, but Crouch's flick opened the door for Garcia and he finished superbly with a lob that had Richard Wright grasping at thin air. Everton found a way back into the game on 61 minutes when Cahill headed home from Osman's corner, though any chance of an equaliser was severely dented with the dismissal of Andy Van Der Meyde 10 minutes later for a dangerous challenge on Alonso. The points were secured in the dying moments thanks to Harry Kewell's 20-yard pearler.

Liverpool 2-1 Everton
Premiership – March 2005

Fans of both sides had become a little too accustomed to derby days meaning little in the grander scheme of things, though this time much was at stake. The charge for fourth place and a spot in the Champions League was hotting up, with Everton sitting on a comfortable seven-point lead over their great rivals prior to kick-off. Goals from Gerrard (a free-kick) and Luis Garcia (an opportunist's header) ensured that became four despite Tim Cahill's late strike, though Liverpool's Champions League triumph ensured both sides would ultimately qualify for Europe's premier competition the following season.

Liverpool 0-0 Everton
Premiership – January 2004

A far more entertaining encounter than the scoreline suggests, with Michael Owen, Anthony Le Tallec and Kewell causing havoc at one end, and Wayne Rooney, Duncan Ferguson and Thomas Radzinski looking dangerous at the other. Both sides had convincing penalty appeals waved away, first when Ferguson wrestled Hyypia to the floor, then when Jamie Carragher appeared to handle a Kilbane cross. The fact the game ended goalless owed much to the brilliance of Jerzy Dudek and his opposite number, 37-year-old Nigel Martyn.

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 12:22

RUSH RELISHING DOUBLE HEADER

Ian Rush believes Liverpool's double header with Everton will provide two hugely contrasting spectacles.
The Reds legend is relishing the prospect of two Merseyside derbies within the same week and feels the outcome of each game will have a significant bearing on both the title race and the eventual winner of the FA Cup.

"It's a long time since we played them in the cup so we were probably due another clash," he told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It's amazing that we will have to play them twice in one week, but I do think the league and the cup will be two completely different games.

"Everton will want to win the cup game as it represents their only chance of silverware and I think Liverpool would probably prefer three points in the league.

"But that's not to say they won't want to go out there and win the cup game too.

"I think all the players on show will want to win the FA Cup and it would be nice to do it having beaten Everton along the way.

"I have to say that I feel whoever wins the match has a great chance of lifting the cup and if Liverpool win the league match it will give them a huge boost and put them back on top.

"Both sides are in good form, so they promise to be two intriguing encounters and I can't wait for them to start now."

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 12:36

thankss xx

stevienando
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 18:58

Really happy Xabi is fit for tommorow's derby.hope Fernando gets a start too :D

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 20:51

Youngster Hails 'Brilliant' Reds
18th January 2009

Liverpool will look to reclaim top spot with victory against Everton on Monday night and one young red is optimistic they can go on and take the title race to the wire.

Winger Paul Anderson - who is currently enjoying a season-long loan with Nottingham Forest - has kept a close eye on the Reds' performances this season.

He feels Rafael Benitez's men are showing greater consistency this term and has been impressed by the spirit they have shown so far.

"I think they've been brilliant," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "They've played some great football. Obviously they have been a bit inconsistent in the last few years, b0ut this year they look on top of their game.

"A lot of the players seem to have gelled well together and they are all playing for each other. Hopefully they can continue to stay up there and go on to win it."

Anderson scored his second goal for Forest in Saturday's 2-0 win at home to Plymouth and has begun to show glimpses of the form that saw him help Swansea City to the League One title last year.

He produced a notable display in Forest's 3-0 destruction of Man City in the third round of the FA Cup earlier this month, and feels the Championship strugglers are now on their way up under new boss Billy Davies.

"We are really enjoying it at the moment," he said. "The gaffer is really disciplined in the way he gets the players doing what he wants us to do.

"He's doing a bit of a pre-season with us at the minute, so it's hard work in training. He's sorting out the holes we had in the team and hopefully we'll push on from here now and I can keep making an impact."

Kira Gerrard
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2009, 21:41

Thanks For All Of Them. x

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 19/1/2009, 12:48

RAFA: LET'S START THE WEEK IN STYLE

Rafael Benitez today urged his Liverpool players to kick off a "special week" by reclaiming top spot in the Barclays Premier League table.

The Reds take on Everton tonight in the first of two Merseyside derby clashes over the next seven days, with this evening's league clash followed by FA Cup fourth round action on Sunday.

Alex Ferguson's men took over at the top of the table after a last minute victory at Bolton over the weekend and although Benitez isn't too concerned with the league standings at this stage, he insists it will be a massive confidence boost if his men can return to the summit.

"I know there can be some anxiety in the atmosphere because we are in such a fantastic position," he said.

"But all I can say is that back in August we weren't thinking about winning the league in January. We have to be calm, don't panic, take one game at a time and then in May we may be in a position to win the title.

"We want to try and get three points from every game we play, starting tonight against Everton. The league table doesn't mean too much at the moment, but for the confidence of the players then clearly it's better to be at the top. That's where I'd prefer to be.

"We are expecting a tough game against Everton because clearly they are in a good moment right now. They are not conceding goals, they are scoring and they are playing well. We beat them at Goodison earlier in the season but I think it will be more difficult tonight."

Benitez also accepts his side will have to improve on their last outing at Stoke last weekend if they are to collect maximum points against their local rivals.

"We didn't play well at Stoke but you have to remember it is a tough place to go to," he added. "Arsenal have lost there, Villa have lost there, so you can see it isn't easy. They have picked up 18 of their 21 points at home.

"Having said that, we didn't play well. On the day the team - the defence, the midfield, the strikers and the staff, wasn't good enough.

"We need to improve on that but the quality is there and the confidence is there, so hopefully in front of our own fans tonight we can perform as we'd want to and win the match.

"This is a special week because it isn't normal to play two games in a short time against your neighbours, but it's fantastic for the fans and it will be even more fantastic if we can win both games."

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 19/1/2009, 12:50

THE VIEW FROM GOODISON

How are you feeling about the upcoming derbies?

We are certainly playing much better than when we met earlier in the season (I say met, not quite convinced all our team turned up then). Whatever happens in the first game is only going to magnify feelings for the second game. It's also a key time for both our clubs' seasons. Man Utd seem to be breathing down your necks near the top after a slow start and with Liverpool, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd our next four fixtures we need some results to stay in touch with Villa and Arsenal. There's not just local bragging rights on offer, but valuable points for both sides. I was very disappointed with the FA Cup draw. All you want as a Premiership team is a home draw against a team lower down the league, or even leagues. We don't seem to have much luck in cup draws recently, but if we want to win anything we've got to start beating the teams that regularly make the Champions League.

How's David Moyes doing?

In a word: excellent. On the budget, and with the squad size we have, our league position is very good. After such a poor start to the season and our well documented injuries up front it's not just the league position that is impressive. We are actually playing good football. The lack of forwards available has made us switch the midfield around. Mikel Arteta playing at the back of the midfield is the key. Defenders trust him with the ball, all our football goes through him. He may have been our most technically gifted player for some time, but he has been off form and involved less than he should have been for a long time (months, not games) before the switch.

Which game would you prefer to win?

For me, it's the league. I think opinion on our side of the park may be divided on this. I can see it's hard to argue that as our last chance of silverware this season, the FA Cup, is not very important to us (and I would not expect Moyes to play anything other than his strongest available team). Having said that, Everton will not make strides to the next level without money. With nothing happening at the board level, Moyes will continue to need to pull rabbits out of his hat. We can sit and whine about the finances involved in the Champions League all we want, but while we are still mathematically in the chase for our slice of the pie via fourth my morals will be kept locked in a box!

What's the key to winning these games?

Control: midfield and mental. I suspect Victor Anichebe will replace the suspended Marouane Fellaini, meaning Tim Cahill plays deeper than he has been recently. There is no doubt that he will be in players' faces, especially your deeper midfielders. If he can disrupt their passing game and the rest of the midfield press we can stop the ball getting up to Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. Defensively we have been very solid recently - no goals conceded in something like nine hours.

Who should we be worried about?

As much as Arteta is controlling things for us, and defensively Phil Jagielka is playing superbly, our main threat going forwards is Steven Pienaar. Creative and with a good engine, he makes us tick going forward. Not likely to score himself - but he creates for others. Set pieces in the final third, even without Fellaini, will also be something we look to exploit. Especially as Arteta has now found his shooting boots.

Weaknesses?

Up front. Anichebe is likely to start, and is still some way from the finished article. The bench will also be pretty thin, as it has been for some time.

And who will you be worried about?

Howard Webb!

If you were putting a tenner on Monday's match?

I'd confidently tell everyone to put it on Cahill, 1-0. Then quietly put my tenner on 0-0.

559 replies since 12/1/2009, 21:57   2705 views