News & Interviews

« Older   Newer »
Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 08:48

Kick It Out & JSP talk to.. Steven Gerrard

I’M Steven Gerrard. I play for Liverpool and England.

Away from playing the game, I support Kick It Out, the game’s equality and inclusion campaign.

Every week JSP Live! will bring an exclusive report from the Kick It Out HQ.

Kick It Out works with amateur teams, youth clubs, community groups and ethnic minorities who may have felt excluded in the past.

The aim is to ensure all communities are embraced by football and opportunities are available to everyone.

Kick It Out uses football to teach kids about racism’s negative effects. It works with big stars including Nicolas Anelka, Curtis Davies, Fernando Torres and Ledley King.

When a player is discriminated against because of colour, creed or faith, Kick It Out is on hand to help. www.kickitout.org

Has football helped you learn about other cultures?

Yes definitely. We have loads of players from all over the world at the club and learn from each other.

Football has also taken me all over the world. I’ve seen and experienced things I probably would never have if I hadn’t become a footballer.

Did watching footballers of different races, cultures and religions make you more aware of different communities in the UK and around the world?

Yes and no. As a Liverpool fan, John Barnes was someone I had watched and admired. Yes he was black but first and foremost he was playing for my team. I didn’t really consider that he was different. I still don’t.

But on an international level, watching teams from all over the world, it was interesting to see the way all these countries loved the game but had different ways of playing it.

Playing with and speaking to people helped me learn more about different cultures and religions.

What makes Liverpool so special?

As the city has the docks it has newcomers to the country arriving in Liverpool. This means we’ve had lots of different communities settle here.

This a positive thing as these settlers have all brought something unique to the city and made it what it is today. Liverpool has a fair few Asian fans who travel to matches from all over.

Why do you think they have a special affection for Liverpool?

The team and I are aware that we have loads of Asian fans that come to games every week. I guess they love the club for the same reason every Liverpool fan does.

We have always played good football which is entertaining. I think that’s always going to attract people who love the game.

Can football educate people?

So many people love football and youngsters will always look up to their favourite players. Because of this it means we are in a position to help push important messages and raise awareness of issues such as racism.

I remember looking up to my footballing heroes as a youngster. So I know that what players do, as role models, can be copied.

We have to remember we have a role both on and off the pitch.

washila
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 09:09

oh dont worry ste gonna be back soon (insha Allah) :)

Kira Gerrard
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 11:25

Thanks For That :D x

littlehunni
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 11:48

thanks

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 12:40

from the liverpool echo

Gerrard has been out of action since suffering a slight hamstring tear in the FA Cup fourth round replay against Everton on February 4.

The initial prognosis was that the Reds skipper was facing up to three weeks on the sidelines and although he returned to training at the end of last week that prediction is likely to prove accurate with the Champions League tie at Real Madrid on February 25 being Gerrard’s most likely return date.

But should the 28-year-old midfielder suffer no ill effects in training this week there is an outside chance that he could even be involved when the Reds take on Manchester City at Anfield on Sunday

from the liverpool echo

if this is truw i am soo happy !

Kira Gerrard
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 12:50

Woop! x

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/2/2009, 12:51

i knw ... i hope he suffers no reacton and play against man city cuz alonso is suspended after picking up 5 yellow cards and i donot trust lucas the goon in our team at alll .. but havin said tht i dont want him to get injured again or have some sort of reoccurence so the real madrid game is a safer bet !

MrsGerrard<33
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/2/2009, 00:49

lucas the goon hahahahahathat makes me laugh!

MrsGerrard<33
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/2/2009, 18:53

Haha paul mcgrattan is a tit :)

Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/2/2009, 19:35

in total agreement with grace !

bet he said this to the police ,,, hiya i am paul mcgratton u dont knw who i am but u wil do soon .. hits the police man then the police man say .. hiya paul mcgratton ! .. see u in jail soon !

hahahahah

littlehunni
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/2/2009, 21:05

thanks for that

Kira Gerrard
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/2/2009, 23:27

LMAO Ami!

God Gratty Is Just A Knob! x

CAT_IMG Posted on 19/2/2009, 22:01

living legend you can look but don't touch.

Group:

offline.

bit random..but why does everyone on here seem to hate gratty? lol just something ive noticed and was wondering why lol

web.  Top
Ami_86
CAT_IMG Posted on 23/2/2009, 14:01

GERRARD IN SQUAD FOR MADRID CLASH

Steven Gerrard has been named in the Liverpool squad to travel to Spain on Tuesday morning for the Champions League first leg clash with Real Madrid.

The Liverpool skipper, who has been sidelined for three weeks with hamstring trouble, came through a training session at Melwood this morning and will be on the flight with the rest of the squad tomorrow.

Manager Rafael Benitez confirmed: "Steven will be in the squad. He was okay in training this morning.

"It was a special training session so we were not testing him one hundred per cent, but he trained okay so we will see."

417 replies since 16/1/2009, 10:54   3096 views