Fernando Torres News, Latest News Here

« Older   Newer »
CAT_IMG Posted on 2/4/2009, 14:11

Group:

offline.

The European Champions leave it late to grab all three points from World Cup qualifier

Spain collected their first ever victory in Istanbul as they fought back from a goal down to beat Turkey 2-1 at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium. Second-half goals from Liverpool duo Xabi Alonso and Albert Riera earned the European Champions all three points as Vicente Del Bosque’s team strengthened their hold on top spot in Group 5.

Fernando Torres played for 85 minutes of the clash at Istanbul, and it was the striker’s header that provoked the penalty from which Spain drew level. The forward deserved to get on the scoresheet himself, but an inspired Volkan produced a magnificent save midway through the second-half to deny the Spaniard.

Fatih Terem decided to start the Group 5 clash with the same starting eleven used in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at the Santiago Bernabeu. Vicente Del Bosque made changes to his team, playing an extra-man in midfield, thus leaving Torres as the only striker.

Spain struggled to get a hold of the ball and settle things down as Turkey controlled possession in the opening stages. The home side however rarely troubled the European Champions who weathered the early storm.

It was Vicente Del Bosque’s side who produced the game’s first effort on target as Riera forced Volkan into a good save.

The Turkey goalkeeper was again the saviour as Fernando Torres fired a shot low and hard towards goal. The striker’s drilled effort was well gathered by Volkan.

Both sets of players were having trouble getting to grips with the playing surface as the long grass made the simplest of passes a difficult task.

Fatih Terem’s side grabbed the lead in the 26th minute as Senturk stroked the ball over line from two yards out. Two Turkey players broke the Spain off-side trap and there was little Casillas could do as Tuncay squared for an un-marked Senturk to score.

Spain gradually worked their way into the game following the break but it was Turkey who threatened to score a second. Nihat had a great chance to double the home side’s lead five minutes into the second-half, but luckily for Spain, the Villarreal striker smashed his effort over the bar.

With 61 minutes on the clock Uzulmez handled Torres’ goalbound header. The Turkey defence was all at sea as forward looked certain to equalise for Spain. The ball however struck the defender’s raised arm. Xabi Alonso calmly stepped up to score his fourth goal for Spain, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Volkan produced the save of the game to deny Torres in the 73rd minute. The striker’s shot from a Cazorla pass looked destined for the top corner, but the Turkish shotstopper flew across goal to brilliantly push Fernando’s drive over the bar.

With just under five minutes remaining Vicente Del Bosque brought on Dani Guiza for Fernando Torres. The Liverpool forward had worked tirelessly upfront, often battling against the Turkey back four single-handedly.

In the final stages there were chances at both ends. But just when the game looked like ending in a stalemate, up-popped Albert Riera in stoppage time to slide the ball past Volkan following some good work by Guiza out on the right-hand side.

- Match Stats: Spain 2-1 Turkey

Spain: Casillas, Ramos, Marchena, Pique, Capdevilla, Senna (Cazorla, 67), Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Silva (Busquets, 74), Riera, Torres (Guiza, 86)

Booked: Xavi, Ramos

Goals: Xabi Alonso 63 (pen), Riera 90

Turkey: Volkan Demirel, Gonul, Uzulmez, Emre, Hakan Balta, Mehmet Aurelio, Emre Belozoglu, Tuncay, Turan (Sahin, 87), Senturk (Sabri, 80), Nihat (Karadeniz, 77)

Booked: Senturk, Emre Belozoglu, Uzulmez, Emre,

Goals: Senturk 26

Fernando'sWifey..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 2/4/2009, 14:36

Thanks for the news VaniBaby :D xx What's your real name rather than me calling you that? Mine is Sarah ;)

CAT_IMG Posted on 2/4/2009, 18:33

Group:

offline.

QUOTE (Fernando'sWifey..x @ 2/4/2009, 15:36)
Thanks for the news VaniBaby :D xx What's your real name rather than me calling you that? Mine is Sarah ;)

Mine is Vanessa (: :D

Fernando'sWifey..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/4/2009, 12:40

Great thanks :D

CAT_IMG Posted on 3/4/2009, 18:48

Group:

offline.

Merseysiders eye top spot as the Red´s title bid faces Fulham test

Liverpool take on Fulham at Craven Cottage in the knowledge that a point would be enough to knock Manchester United off the top of the Premier League table for at least 22 hours.

The Reds face the Londoners on Saturday, kick-off at 17:30 hours (BST), whilst Man U welcome fifth-placed Aston Villa at Old Trafford on Sunday.

The Merseysiders, who go into the clash on the back of three straight league wins, will no doubt be in for a tricky game against an in-form Fulham. Liverpool’s opponents currently lie in ninth place with 40 points, having won 10, drawn 10 and lost 10 games.

The London based club have won their last two Premier League games, defeating Bolton Wanderers 3-1 at the Reebok Stadium, before surprising Manchester United at the Craven Cottage with a 2-0 win.

The Cottagers, who have never won in any competition at Anfield, a record stretching back to 1934, have enjoyed some success at home versus the Reds. The two teams have met a total of 21 times in league competition with 7 wins for Fulham, 8 for Liverpool, with a further 6 games ending in a stalemate.

Fernando Torres started for the Reds in the Premier League game at Anfield back in November. The striker played the full 90 minutes as the home side dropped two points only managing to draw 0-0.

The last meeting between Liverpool and Fulham at Craven Cottage ended 2-0 to the Reds. The Merseysiders were without Steve Gerrard or Fernando Torres, who were both rested for the league meeting ahead of the Red’s Champions League Semi-Final with Chelsea.

Fulham were founded in 1879, and are the oldest professional football team in London. During the Cottagers almost 130 years of history they have yet to win any important piece of silverware.

Following Saturday’s clash versus the Cottagers, the Reds face Chelsea at home on Wednesday in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final.

pool-girl
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 10:20

Fernando Torres has set his sights on creating a new chapter in Liverpool's European history - and reiterated his desire to remain at Anfield for many years to come.

The Reds boosted their title chances with a 1-0 win at Fulham on Saturday and while the Spain international would love to help us lift title number 19, he admits the Champions League is also a competition he is eager to win.

"Domestic titles are very important but to win the Champions League you are saying we are the best team in Europe," he said.

"This club has a great record in the European Cup but now I want to be a part of that history.

"Winning the European Championship was a great thing for me and I understood what it was to win a major trophy and what I had been missing.

"On the way home from the European Championship I made a promise that I wanted more of this success with Liverpool and it does not come any bigger than the European Cup."

The last-gasp victory at Craven Cottage capped a good week for the Reds, following hot on the heels of the news that Steven Gerrard and Dirk Kuyt had extended their contracts with the club.

Torres was delighted to hear the news that the captain has committed his future to Liverpool and has thrown his support behind recent comments that he is the best player in the world.

"Stevie has been getting a lot of praise from some of the best players in the world," he said.

"That is quite right because I think he is the best in the world. He is a great team player but he can also win a game on his own when maybe we are not playing so well.

"I would love to see him have a lot more success. I cannot think of a player I would rather be playing with.

"We know it is not going to be easy against Chelsea on Wednesday but both Stevie and I are happy with our form."

With both the manager and the skipper's long-term future secured, Torres also confirmed his desire to prolong his stay on Merseyside.

He said: "I have said many times the only club I would leave Atletico for was Liverpool, and nothing has changed there. They are the only two clubs that are in my heart.

"I have supported Liverpool since I was a boy and I intend on staying here a very long time."
Source: fc liverpool official site

Fernando'sWifey..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 11:37

Thanks Pool-Girl :D Hopefully we will beat Chelsea but with the run we're on I have confidence we will ;) xx

CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 11:39

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:

spies!

aww bless him
chelsea better watch out
liverpool have just been playing like no one can beat them :)

web.  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 15:37

Group:

online.

Thanks for posting, yeah jChelsea better watch out

CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 22:37

Group:

offline.

DON BALÓN: El Niño/The Kid more mature.

The Fernando Torres who has left Atlético Madrid player was merely good player in comparison with that which now stands at Liverpool and in the Spanish National Team, a stronger striker, faster, more accurate and less doubts about his ability.

DB: - Have you had compassion to Real Madrid for your image in Anfield?
- No. Rafa Benitez has taught us not to think about the opponent, but in ourselves. We should not look to the rival, not worried about them, respect them, but let them, only our team.

DB: Nevertheless, since the team won 0-1, you just shined at the Bernabeu...
I was injured, but it was time to win a match in the Bernabeu... And what a better time than in a match of Champions! The truth is that in this field I've never been lucky because I've got injured in the first minute. I hang everything that I had the desire to help the team.

DB: And Liverpool finally beat Iker Casillas...
I took off my spine-not to do so in the Bernabeu. Iker is a great goalkeeper and then saved Real Madrid fit many more goals.

DB: Is that the only thing that Real Madrid have better than Liverpool, the goalkeeper?
Not because I think that Pepe Reina is undoubtedly at the height of Iker... has nothing to envy. Reina's level is of first-world despite the fact that the National Team is in the shadow of Iker. In England yes, the people give to Reina the importance that he deserves and he's highly regarded, but also understand that Iker Casillas is a great goalkeeper.

DB: After had been scored against the Blancos in Liverpool, who had you remembered ?
Many people... for example, all the fans who were with the Atlético's t-shirt to Anfield and Bernabeu. I will always be an Atlético more, and very proud.

DB: You have the 'reds' delivered, in Anfield, you are more idol than was at the Vicente Calderon?
It is a different love. In Calderon I hadn't to win that, because I came with it and I was from home, because they knew that I felt the shirt for to be of the quarry. In Liverpool I had to win the affection of the people, and I like everything went well from the first day, I have achieved.

DB: They even sing your own song!
Yes, I am more important than I felt in Atlético... Perhaps also because today's Liverpool is a club bigger than Atlético.

DB:Also you are better player now...
-I've had a logical progression for any young player. It is the result of experience and is trained to improve, although I remain to be improved in order to arrive at a better level than I have now.

DB: Playing in the Premiership will help you to improve...
-Yes, because now is the best tournament in Europe. La Liga was years ago, but the Premier has evolved and now offers a more attractive game because it is faster than was done in Spain, more dynamic, more chances to score, with some of the players are more respectful of the rules of the game...

DB: The famous English 'fair-play'...
-There the players don't simulate and help more the referee. No attempt is made to take advantage of the small details. Tickets are sharp, but noble because they seek the ball and the player concerned is raised, although it hurts, and does not turn 20 by the grass for people to take over the referee.

DB: And how you behave/manage?
-I try to behave/manage well, because I've noticed that hurts simulate football. Even today I still make mistakes, as protest to the referees. Hours later I am on television and I wonder what I was doing. The professionals must lead by example and be more relaxed even if we are at 200 beats. I attempt to control, and if they hit me, I get up and away you go.

DB: And if in the next game they want to hit you back?
-Then I go back to lifting. In England you win the respect of hobbies if you put up against the entrances, one, another and another, and no protests. For this and all the Premiership is a great league, and competitive, as seen in the Champions League.

DB: So, as we said before, Real Madrid has seen/noticed...
-We play to the pace of the Premier and they will not endure. The difference between the two was great.

DB: What do you prefer in the Champions, a Barça-Liverpool or measure the Bayern Munich?
I would have loved one for the Barcelona-Liverpool final, but no longer can be. I am sure that Barça will be a semifinalist... and we will see if we go. If we face... that be what God wants.

DB: On Messi leaves Barça, also he would succeed in the Premiership?
-I said that football is different from Spain, and I think that if Messi plays in England, he would be even better player.

DB: Why?
-Because he's what is now, but could not use that break to do, but would be more vertical continuous because the game will require this.

DB: So... between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, with which one do you remain?
-They are different, but Cristiano Ronaldo is a devil, with an impressive verticality. Sure if he would play in Spain he would do a game slow, slower, where shines more his individual capacity.

DB: Do you think CR7 would get adapted to Spanish football?
-Yes, perfectly, but I do not think he would be better because the football in England is going well.

DB: Do you know that the Real Madrid is seeking/following the Portuguese since many months. Is the ideal team for him?
-Nowadays, any player fits better into Barcelona for the football that it is doing, but we know that this changes are from one season to another. Anyway, personally, I do not see Cristiano Ronaldo playing outside the Premiership soon, and as is now the Manchester, which is doing great.

DB: Manchester and Barcelona, the kings of Europe?
-Yes, because they have an impressive level. The staff of Manchester is spectacular... They do not note the drops! There, it is permissible to take to the bench players like Tevez, Giggs and Berbatov, but in a clash with Barcelona I think that they would have lost.

DB: Why?
-Because if Manchester does not have the ball, they suffers much, and such as Barcelona has better quality would have the ball all the time and this would make Manchester suffer.

DB: If Messi, If CR7... Do not you remember Agüero?
-Yes, he's a phenomenon. Atlético is lucky to have him, but they should take care him.

DB: What do you want to say?
-That the team must grow at the speed of Agüero, if not, there will come a time when he will feel that he has plateaued and will need to leave the team.

DB: And how to avoid it?
-Atlético has to make a team that competes at the level of Agüero, and if not, they will have to let him go, to not hurt the player.

DB: You have already spent/passed for something like this and live a wonderful present, but how do you see your future?
-I would have stayed many seasons in Liverpool because I'm very happy. I've also signed four more seasons more than that. The club has treated me great and I owe much to the fans because they make me feel welcomed as if I were to stay there a lifetime. They treat me like Gerrard or Carragher... It's awesome! I hope give them back this love winning the Premier because it does many years that we do not win.

DB: In your contract there is any recession clause?
-No, there are not. Transfers are made when the clubs come to an agreement.

DB: Real Madrid will look for cracks and if it comes Florentino Pérez maybe he will find you...
-For me, Real Madrid is not more than anyone. Real Madrid is like Barcelona, Milan, Bayern Munich, Inter... over a big team. It does not get my attention, but unlike my past in Atlético.

DB: Florentino Pérez will listen a 'yes' of your mouth?
-Before I say 'yes' to my girlfriend at the altar than to tell him because I do not see me playing at Real Madrid.

DB: So then, after Liverpool, what?
-Well, within a few years, I would like to play in Italy, prove in Serie A, like this completing my resume through the three major European leagues, the Spanish, English and Italian... but the German would also be good.

DB: Germany?
-Yes, for me Bayern Munich is a very attractive club, but I go through there still seems somewhat distant in time. Football gives many laps, and although I will not do to go anywhere, but I'd like to go through Italy and Germany before returning to Spain, of course in Atlético.

DB: Against Germany you won the Eurocup. Now what?
-Well, most aspire to live for those magical moments as people continue to see the attached National Team. Not so long ago that Spain is going wrong.

DB: And now there is hope to win a World Cup...
-And that power, we can do. There will be big National Teams, but we will have our chances. It is sure that we will live difficult times that may tilt the balance to our side or the rival, as in the round of penaltys that went against Italy, but it's likea bit of luck is essential as demonstrated in the Eurocup... and I hope to continue on our side.

DB: Despite the great young man who have already partecipated of 60 international matches...
-And hopefully many more to come. I hope that the injuries leave me to play all possible because Sergio Ramos is pushing back me back, ha, ha, ha...! For me to reach 100 games with Spain is a goal that I have and I hope it makes me accomplish much excitement.

DB: What Del Bosque has brought to this National Team?
-In a moment of euphoria as we lived, he has brught tranquility. A feeling that we were going to win this, and the other from beyond, Del Bosque did not give pause to stop having our feet on the ground. He also has a quiet calm environment, for the fans and the media. Based on all this now is we who must prove what we really are capable.

CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 22:44

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:

spies!

thanks for that :)

web.  Top
xtracyx
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 22:51

thanks Vanibaby :) x

ctorres
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/4/2009, 23:17

Thank you Vanibaby!!! x

Mrs. JGerrard
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/4/2009, 17:39

Thanks for that

CAT_IMG Posted on 7/4/2009, 18:30

Group:

offline.

“This club has a great record in the European Cup but now I want to be a part of that history”

Liverpool face Chelsea on Wednesday evening in the first-leg of the Champions League quarter final.

The Anfield number ‘9’, who scored both of his team’s goals in their last meeting, hopes to follow up his Euro 2008 triumph with his first, and Liverpool’s sixth European Cup title

“To win the Champions League you are saying we are the best team in Europe. This club has a great record in the European Cup but now I want to be a part of that history.”

“Winning the European Championship was a great thing for me and I understood what it was to win a major trophy and what I had been missing. On the way home from the European Championship I made a promise that I wanted more of this success with Liverpool and it does not come any bigger than the European Cup.”

The forward praised his skipper’s current form ahead of the midweek fixture versus the Blues. “Stevie has been getting a lot of praise from some of the best players in the world. That is quite right because I think he is the best in the world. He is a great team player but he can also win a game on his own when maybe we are not playing so well. We know it is not going to be easy against Chelsea on Wednesday but both Stevie and I are happy with our form.”

Source: FT9

1246 replies since 17/3/2009, 14:52   7207 views