News & Interviews

« Older   Newer »
~Amy~
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/9/2009, 10:20

i dont thin xabi would come back to england ( i m ean spain is his home country and he would have no issue with it apart from ) well he would if real madrid do an owen to him n not play him ! but plzz no MAn utd n no chelsea or arsenal as well ! .. wht i dont get is why did benitez wanted to buy barry last summer ,, he is no where near the player xabi alonso is ..its a big void to fill yes and till aquilani plays guess juss have to see lucas :angry: :angry: ..n look we dont have alonso n dont ave friggin barry as well ! all we can do is wait for aquilani to get fit n thts all .. i hope it works out well .. and we win sumthing this no trophy since 2006 is depressing me badlyyy !

Jules =^.^=
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/9/2009, 10:31

I don't know. I never liked Barry so I can't really be objective and fair about him...w@anker! :lol: I do think he's hugely overrated though. I mean he was in highlight in Villa because he was the captain and pretty much doing everything in the team. People thought he was THE solution for England in place of Lampard with Steven. Yet it turns out he's a under-average flop nowhere near Lampard's talent and makes loads of mistakes when he plays with England.

But it seems like Madrid is going to do an "Owen" with Cristiano Ronaldo. I think they have a history of destroying strkers, not midfielders. They have a stardom mentality: you only judge with goals so they have far too much expectations in terms of goals for strikers, putting them under tons of pressure and they find it hard to provide.

Although Michael was the top scorer when he was there while playing half the time of others.

I think Xabi will be fine, they don't expect him to score goals but to hold a position in midfield and create the game.

Now, let's see if we can work something out. Have you heard that people are starting to doubt Carragher? :unsure: I read loads of articles from usually very good football correspondant saying he's starting to be a problem in defense.

~Amy~
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/9/2009, 10:37

yeah i have read it alot .. he is slow .. he hoofs the ball .. and he is getting old and he tends to fight with his own team mates i know tht winning is a habit but everyone can make mistakes i.e. arbeloa ..carragher makes mistakes as well and he scores own goal as well and no body says a thing to him ! a player like drogba or a fast speedy pacey player would expose him badly !

;sarahbroad
CAT_IMG Posted on 14/9/2009, 14:27

Xabi Alonso & Higuan Reflect On Real Madrid's 3-0 Win Over Espanyol
13th September 2009

After Real Madrid grabbed a 3-0 win at Espanyol, Gonzalo Higuain and Xabi Alonso offered their thoughts on the encounter.

Speaking to AS, Higuain said, "I am very pleased to have won the game, but we must continue working hard."

"We are all here to help, and the changes in the second half did not reduce our quality. This is the second day, and there is still a long time to go.

"As we continue to adapt, we will start playing better. We took our chances and played as a team.

"This month is very important for me to get into Argentina's squad."

Meanwhile, Xabi Alonso echoed similar sentiments, saying, "We need to play together more."

"There are things to improve on. Some things went well, and others didn't.

"We played well at the key moments.

"We know that every team is dangerous."

;sarahbroad
CAT_IMG Posted on 25/9/2009, 13:21

Xabi Alonso: The True Play-Maker Of Real Madrid's Season
23rd September 2009

While it may be true that Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema, Esteban Granero, and Alvaro Arbeloa have all been enormously valuable additions to Real Madrid’s roster in the wake of this summer’s transfer affairs, there is one player whose signing was of particularly great importance to Manuel Pellegrini and his coaching staff.

Yes, Cristiano Ronaldo has managed to score in every one of Madrid’s official matches thus far this season (on two occasions, he found the net more than once) and Kaka’s contributions have been well noted as Madrid now enjoy the fruits of Brazilian creativity. But it is Xabi Alonso who has arguably well and truly transformed the way in which Los Blancos play football and upon which Madrid’s hopes of winning silverware rest this season.

Some critics would question the veracity of such an audacious claim. After all, goals win matches and if one is to measure a team’s most important player by goalscoring ability, surely the player who finds the back of the net most often would constitute the most value to a squad. But while it may be true that players of such unquestionable talent as Lionel Messi and CR9 score goals, one has to remember that football is a team sport, and that there are players who afford these exceptionally gifted forwards the passes that allow something special to happen - and in the case of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, these players, respectively, are Xavi Hernandez and Xabi Alonso.

While some would say that Messi is Barcelona’s most valuable player, a more insightful football analyst would probe further and upon such research, would find that the engine that makes Barcelona tick lies further back on the pitch: the choreographer of Pep Guardiola’s attack, the Euro 2008 player of the tournament, Xavi.

Xavi is an exceptional passer of the ball, providing perfectly weighted through passes behind the back line or lead passes down the flank that efficiently use space on the pitch; meaning the pass is not just delivered to its intended target, but delivered with the proper angle and pace so that the attack does not have to delay in waiting for the ball, thus ensuring that the defence cannot recover in time to close the gap. But what may be even more impressive is Xavi’s ability to hold the ball at his feet as well as his movement when out of possession in support of his team-mates.

Hold It | Xavi Holds Up Possession... Just Not With His Feet

In football, a defence coordinates its defending in a technique that involves ‘forcing’ an offence away from goal. The basic concept of forcing a team is as follows: a defender is charged with the task of putting himself between the attacking player and the goal and, ideally, pushes the flow of the attack away from his team’s net.

But when the ball is positioned slightly to either side of the centre of the pitch, the defence then chooses to ‘force’ toward the side, effectively using the sideline as an extra defender with the objective of giving the attack less space with which to work and forcing a turnover either through an errant pass or a well-timed tackle.

It is in this manner that teams defend as a group; the player marking the attacker with the ball forces the player toward the sideline, for instance, if on the left sideline, the defender is positioned on the right side of the attacker, cutting off passes toward the interior of the pitch.

The job of defenders downfield is to complete the ‘force’ by staying (keeping with the example) slightly to the left of their attackers, thus putting themselves between a pass from the sideline and the attacker they are marking. As the ball is forced further and further to the sideline, this force becomes more and more pronounced as the defenders adjust their angles and prevent the attack from finding an outlet (Barca employs this tactic to perfection, establishing a force that begins with the forwards very quickly upon giving away possession - in fact, Henry, Eto’o and Messi actually had more fouls than Puyol, Marquez, and Pique last season, which is simply astounding).

Because of this defensive technique, it is imperative to have players on a team that can break an opposing team’s ‘force’ marking and Messi/CR9 accomplish this by either being able to face defenders and weave past them (thus nullifying the force), or by cutting back ‘against the grain’ of the force and exploiting the open space left behind the defenders.

But players like Xavi and Xabi Alonso are even more valuable to their respective teams because they make it difficult for the defending team to establish a force in the first place. Both the Spanish internationals are comfortable on the ball, responding to defensive pressure by first exposing the ball to draw a defender closer, then turning on a dime, spinning away, and providing a pass in the space the defender had vacated (in Barca’s La Liga match against Sporting Gijon, Xavi did just this to find an improbable path out from between four Sporting defenders and delivered a visionary pass to start the counterattack).

Both Xavi and Xabi control the ball with fluidity, frequently pulling the proverbial ‘rabbit out of the hat’ to break the direction of the defence’s force marking and keep the attack moving forward. A player like Madrid’s Fernando Gago, called in to substitute while Xabi Alonso currently recovers from injury, lacks this element of tranquil trickery and frequently has to pass the ball back to the defensive line at the slightest hint of pressure, thus stalling the attack and contributing nothing toward advancing the position of the ball.

Madrid's Xavi | Can Xabi Be Xavi?

Xavi and Xabi are players who know how to position themselves on the pitch and know where the ball’s position will do the most damage to an opposing team’s defensive structure. When a team-mate has the ball or immediately after delivering a pass to a colleague, both Spanish internationals quickly move to a position on the pitch that not only provides their team-mate with a safe outlet, but also one that allows Xavi/Xabi to then deliver a pass that creates a compromising situation for the defence’s formation instead of allowing it to recuperate precious metres in an effort to reposition.

But while both players are of critical importance to their sides, still performing the same basic function, Xavi Hernandez and Xabi Alonso do differ from each other in style. While capable of coming back to receive the ball in a withdrawn position from the central defenders, Xavi prefers to receive the ball in a more advanced role, darting back and forth in front of his attacking trio of Henry, Ibrahimovic and Messi, surveying the defence for gaps through which to thread the ball, distributing to Dani Alves or Eric Abidal along the flanks, or attempting a one-two pass with one of his strikers (usually Messi).

In contrast, Xabi Alonso plays in a more withdrawn position as a pivot, usually the first man to receive the ball from the backline. Whereas last season Madrid had great difficulty in their link-up play - that is passing the ball from the defensive midfield into the attack, as Gago and Guti would lose far too many balls in this area of the pitch or immediately turn possession over with a dreadfully errant pass, Xabi pushes the ball up the pitch with accurate long passes, a clever turn past an onrushing defender, or a full-field switch of play with a pass through the air.

Exceedingly underrated in his time at Liverpool, the Madrid ‘22’ is a superb player when it comes to maintaining possession of the ball and after a clearance from the opposing goalkeeper/back line, is frequently responsible for Madrid retaining possession for another chance to strike. On top of it all, while he makes sure not to languish in his defensive duties, he runs hard to trail the play on a counterattack and also frequently tests the defence’s mettle with booming long-range efforts.

As Real Madrid attempt to challenge Barcelona this season for the Primera Division crown, the Copa del Rey, and most importantly the Champions League trophy - the final of which is to be held in the Santiago Bernabeu - their hopes of playing beautiful Merengue football do not fall on the shoulders of Cristiano, Kaka, or Karim. They fall on the shoulders of Xabi Alonso, the architect of the midfield, the conductor of the Merengue orchestra, to direct the flow of the Madrid attack.

And while the Madridistas and the columnists may not know it or perceive it, Pellegrini and his coaching staff certainly know the Basque player’s value and what he brings to the Blancos squad, which is exactly why their hearts were in their throats as he lay writhing in pain on the pitch in Zurich last week in the Champions League match. Thankfully, for Madrid’s hopes of winning titles this season, the injury is not serious.

striker9
CAT_IMG Posted on 28/9/2009, 20:42

xabi at madrid is just sad... he dosen't f it in there... he's too straight too eager to nice too.......

i'm sad he'd left l iverpool, but it was his deciseon
but i don't believe that it is fair to blame rafa for that.... it's a pitty that xabi left, but if he he's happy now i try to be happy for him....
but real, why real? *head desk*

kutina
CAT_IMG Posted on 30/9/2009, 18:56

thanks for that

Katta*
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/3/2010, 17:31

Xabi And Nagore Welcome Baby Ane

Did you notice the sky was a little bluer today? The birds chirping in perfect 4-part harmony or the day just seeming… more attractive?

There’s good reason. Xabi Alonso’s wife Nagore gave birth to a little baby girl yesterday in Madrid, slightly earlier than her April due date. They’ve called her Ane (pronounced A-nay), and we are assuming she’s made out of marshmallows and fluffy bunnytails – which, will coincide nicely with two-year-old Jon’s warm chocolate chip cookies and firetrucks DNA.

While there’s much debate over Xabi’s fifth yellow received against Atletico, the 1-match suspension enables him to spend some quality time at home with his two favourite girls this weekend.

Xabi was back at training today and got a lot of manly back pats from his boys – we’ve heard that Sergio Ramos was especially affectionate with him. Le sigh.

Congratulations!

© kickette

:wub: :wub: :wub:

CAT_IMG Posted on 1/7/2010, 14:32

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:

spies!

Xabi Alonso – El País Q&A

Finally, it’s Xabi’s turn! Who else feels like they’ve been waiting forever? And especially waiting to see how he answers the question about what position his father plays!

And por fin, an intelligent player – check out the scrum question and Afrikaner questions! And the details given in the Katalinksi question…

Note: he answered this via email, instead of face to face, due to the blow to the face that he received from Fabio Coentrão. Too bad for the interviewer then, who was deprived of hearing Xabi answer in that sexy voice of his.

Q: Can you recommend to me a food shack on the beach?

A: One on the beach of La Barrosa, in Cádiz.

Q: Would you ban bullfighting?

A: I’m not a fan.

Q: What gets on your nerves?

A: Bad manners. [Oh, me too Xabi!]

Q: Do you know what a scrum is?

A: Something to do with rugby? [Yes!!! And that's why I love Xabi, he's so smart!]

Q: Do you remember what was your first kiss like?

A: Yes, but that’s something too personal to talk about publicly.

Q: What do you play on Play?

A: I don’t play a lot.

Q: Nesquik or Cola Cao?

A: Nesquik.

Q: How many watches do you own?

A: About 10.

Q: What were your first boots like?

A: Adidas Beckenbauer.

Q: How long has it been since you went to the circus?

A: I don’t even remember.

Q: How long does the pregnancy of a whale last?

A: A year.

Q: Do you know who Katalinski was?

A: A Yugoslavian player that scored the goal that eliminated Spain in the classification for the 1974 World Cup.

Q: Where was Iribar born?

A: In Zarautz. [Of course the Basque knows!]

<bq: Who did you ask for an autograph when you were a kid?>

A: Julián Retegi, pelota player.

Q: Do you know who wrote Saber perder?

A: David Trueba.

Q: What is your dog’s name?

A: Lagun and Goku.

Q: Why have shows with midgets in the bullfighting ring in Zaragoza been prohibited?

A: No idea.

Q: Which player has kicked you the most?

A: Boateng.

Q: What do you think about the decision of the Constitutional Court on the Estatut [the Statute of Autonomy of Cataluña]?

A: There are a lot of opposing interests.

Q: What year did apartheid end?

A: In 1991.

Q: What was the name of Pippi Longstocking’s horse?

A: I don’t know.

Q: Have you been able to get a reservation at elBulli?

A: Yes, last summer. It was exceptional. [But what about your teammates?]

Q: What’s the last TV series you’ve become addicted to?

A: Dexter. [Of course.]

Q: If it weren’t for the World Cup, why would you go to South Africa?

A: To visit Cape Town.

Q: What does your town have that Johannesburg doesn’t?

A: The beach, everything just five minutes away, the txokos…

Q: How many years was Mandela imprisoned?

A: 27 years.

Q: Do you know what an Afrikaner is?

A: The Dutch colonists that came to South Africa.

Q: How many diapers have you changed in your life?

A: A lot.

Q: Does a lion or a hippo kill more people?

A: The hippo.

Q: Where is Ellis Park?

A: In Johannesburg.

Q: What is the World Cup ball called?

A: Jabulani.

Q: Why didn’t you win the porra of the team?

A: Because I take too many risks.

Q: Do you know where del Bosque was born?

A: In Salamanca.

Q: What position did Xabi Alonso’s father play?

A: I think I know this one. Midfielder.

http://conlaroja.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/...nso-el-pais-qa/

web.  Top
144 replies since 6/5/2009, 15:16   823 views