Liverpool fc

« Older   Newer »
xtracyx
CAT_IMG Posted on 12/1/2009, 21:57

Chat here about the Mighty Reds

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 19:03

ALONSO HANDS REDS DERBY BOOST

Xabi Alonso today declared himself fit to face Everton in the first of next week's Merseyside derbies on Monday.
The 27-year-old midfielder needed seven stitches in his instep following Liverpool's FA Cup victory over Preston 12 days ago.

The injury kept him out of last weekend's goalless draw at Stoke City because his foot hadn't heeled sufficiently to wear football boots.

Now back in full training, Alonso is hopeful of a return to action against David Moyes' men.

He said: "I am back training. I had the stitches taken out on Monday.

"I'm still a little bit sore in that area. Right now I am able to play with the inside of my foot but my instep will be okay for Monday."

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 19:05

MACCA: WHY WE CAN WIN THE TITLE

Steve McManaman believes Liverpool have an 'outstanding' chance of winning the league.
And the former Reds winger is keen to dismiss any suggestion that Steven Gerrard and co will start feeling the pressure as the season draws to a conclusion.

Macca, now a pundit for Setanta after 364 appearances for Liverpool, said: "Put it this way – I will be over the moon if Stevie and Carra have got their hands on that trophy in May and I honestly believe they have an outstanding chance of doing it.

"People go on about them being ready to collapse but I just don't see it. Over the last three months, they have looked incredibly strong and have played the best football out of the top three. All Chelsea seem to be doing is be chugging along.

"Prior to last weekend, Manchester United had been poor in a number of games and hadn't been scoring too many goals. Can you say the same about Liverpool? No. Never mind what happened against Stoke.

"They've got the best player in the country in Gerrard and the best centre-forward in the country in Fernando Torres. He has been missing and if he comes back firing on all cylinders, what's stopping them?

"Pressure? That's nonsense. There's no pressure for Stevie – he's played in two European Cup finals. Is there any pressure for the Spanish lads who played in the Euro 2008 final? The games they have got coming up are like getting out of bed in the morning."

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 19:07

LEE: LET'S STOP HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF

It might have been almost 18 years ago, but the memories of Liverpool's last FA Cup encounter with Everton are still vivid for most Scouse football fans.
The tie took nine goals and more than 300 minutes to decide before Everton ran out 1-0 winners in a second replay at Goodison. But it is the first replay which will live longest in the memory, as goals from Peter Beardsley (2), John Barnes and Ian Rush ensured a pulsating encounter ended 4-4 after extra-time.

The face of English football has changed more than that of your average X-Factor judge in the intervening years as the money filtered through the Premier League has taken effect. These days Merseyside derbies are usually tighter affairs.

One man who won't be putting any money on a repeat of the 1990-91 goalfest is Sammy Lee, though Liverpool's assistant manager is fully aware of the anticipation gripping Merseyside.

"I don't like conceding four goals to anyone - certainly not Everton," says Lee, who, having left Anfield, was in his final year as a professional the last time Liverpool faced Everton twice in a week.

"It was a rollercoaster game. I think these games will be very exciting and competitive. Whether that leads to the same number of goals - well I hope it does for us, not them.

"I look forward to each and every game but they are our nearest rivals. A lot of my friends and family are Evertonians, so it's going to be a great period for us."

While Liverpool need no incentive in their fight for a first Premier League title, it could be argued that two seasons without a major trophy will provide extra motivation when the Reds take on the Blues in the Cup.

Not for Sammy Lee, though.

"We don't need any more incentives to win football matches," he argues. "We go out to win each and every game - our fans expect that and our players demand it.

"We try to win every game and competition we're in. It doesn't always work out like that - look at last weekend. But we always go into games looking to win. I don't mean for that to sound conceited, but we know the expectations on this squad."

One man who needs no encouragement to score against Everton is Fernando Torres, who has found the net on both occasions he has faced the Toffees.

"I've got too much respect for Everton or any of our counterparts to say they'd be scared of Fernando," adds Lee, when asked if David Moyes will be losing sleep over the return to fitness of the world's top striker.

"You'll have to ask them if they are scared, but they will certainly be aware of him. He'd frighten me if I was playing against him but I can't talk about what our opponents fear. All I can say to you is that he's a class player and, whoever he plays against, they'll be aware of him and his strengths."

While the majority of Kopites already have their mind on next week's derby double header, the club's Academy are preparing for the biggest game of their season so far - tonight's FA Youth Cup clash with Bristol Rovers.

Lee will be watching live on LFC TV if not the stands and is all too aware of the role the Youth Cup plays in the development of aspiring footballers.

"I follow it very closely because it's our future. It's very important in their development because the games are more high profile than those they normally play in," says the Scouser.

"It's more competitive football against opposition they wouldn't usually face. It's crucial in their development."

Lee was himself the product of an apprenticeship at Anfield - so what advice would he give to the current crop of Academy starlets hoping to become the next Steven Gerrard?

"Always enjoy," says the 49-year-old. "You have to work hard and always enjoy it. They are developing whatever skills they have every day at the Academy but it's about enjoying football, and if you work hard you will enjoy your football."

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 19:28

LUCAS: SCOUSE PRIDE INSPIRES US

Rafael Benitez's side welcome their neighbours from across Stanley Park in the Premier League clash on Monday night before the Toffees visit Anfield again on Sunday week for the FA Cup fourth round clash.

The Brazilian international insists all of the players are aware of what this derby means to the supporters - and that in Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher they have two teammates who won't let them forget the significance of the week coming up.

"It is always a massive game against Everton," Lucas told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"The preparation for a derby game is always different, especially with Stevie and Carra around. We can see in their faces how much they want to win this game and that inspires us.

"We know how important these games are for the club and the supporters as well. We want to stay at the top of the Premier League and we want to progress in the FA Cup so we don't need any motivation.

"It is good we can play them both at Anfield with our supporters behind us and it gives us a lot of confidence, so we have to try to make sure we win.

"Always the derby is a difficult game and it is also a different game. We had a good win at Everton earlier this season so we know what we need to do.

"These are two massive games and we have to be ready."

For the Reds number 21, playing against Everton holds special memories for him as he played a major part in the winning goal on his derby debut.

It was in October 2007 when Benitez raised a few eyebrows amongst many observers by substituting his captain for Lucas in the 72nd minute of the game with the score all square at 1-1.

It turned out to be a wise decision when Lucas had the shot that won the decisive winning penalty.

"It could have been better because I could have scored the winner but we won the game which was the main thing," said Lucas.

"I came on for Stevie and everybody was surprised but I enjoyed it and we won the game."

MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 21:36

thankss xx

CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 21:39

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:

spies!

glad xabi is back against everton we missed him against stoke lucas crap in that game
also torres is expected to start there was a interview with him on lfc tv :)

web.  Top
MrsEmmaTorres..x
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/1/2009, 21:51

Yay :D

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 11:35

TORRES: I'M READY TO START DERBY

Fernando Torres today warned Everton that he is ready to start his first Premier League game since November.

The 24-year-old terrorised the Toffees at Goodison Park earlier in the season, scoring a brace as Liverpool ran out 2-0 winners. He also netted in his only other appearance against Everton at Anfield last season.

Now, after two substitute appearances since recovering from a hamstring injury, the striker feels he is ready to lead Liverpool's attack from the off on Monday night.

"I have worked for a long time with the physios, Paco the fitness coach and everyone at the club, and I think I can now play more than 45 minutes and start in the first 11.

"It depends on Rafa whether I can start in the derby. It's a massive game and I want to play."

Torres tore his hamstring during Liverpool's Champions League encounter with Marseille at the end of November.

Katta*
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 17:45

I say, he an Robbie in front of Steven and Xabi in the midfield behind Steven... Lucas, Carra and Dani (sorry Martin)... it's a game like every other but I'm nervous

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 19:44

OWNERS KEEN TO RESOLVE RAFA ISSUES

Liverpool's co-chairmen remain committed to finding a solution in their ongoing discussions with Rafael Benitez on a new contract.
The Reds boss had revealed in the Liverpool Echo that he has rejected the offer of a new deal.

A spokesperson for the owners said today: "As Rafa says he enjoys a strong working relationship with Tom and George and they are united behind the team.

"They understand Rafa's frustrations and are committed to working with him and his advisers to find a solution. They will keep talking, and in the meantime all focus is on the pitch and the next game."

Speaking earlier today, Benitez had said: "The talks between my agent and the advisers of the owners have been very positive and friendly and our differences are about my responsibilities," said Rafa.

"This is solely about being allowed to manage Liverpool Football Club to the best of my abilities as I see them.

"I believe that this club has the potential to improve and I just want to be able to help this to happen.

"I will continue to do my job as manager and concentrate on the thing that our fans want me to focus on – winning trophies for them."

MrsGerrard<33
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 19:52

i want him to stay hes done good

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 20:06

REDS ACCEPT POMPEY BID FOR PENNANT
Jimmy Rice 16 January 2009
Liverpool have accepted a bid from Portsmouth for winger Jermaine Pennant.
The 26-year-old, whose Anfield contract expires in the summer, will now discuss personal terms with the south coast club over the next few days.

Pennant has represented Liverpool 79 times, scoring three goals along the way - the most memorable coming against Chelsea at the Anfield Road End in January 2006.

He was signed by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2006 and played in the European Cup final defeat to AC Milan a year later.

TOM HICKS ON RAFAEL BENITEZ

liverpool co-chairman Tom Hicks gave an interview to Sky Sports News earlier today - here's what he had to say in full.
Journalist: What is your reaction to news that Rafa Benitez has rejected his contract offer?

Hicks: As Rafa says, we have a strong working relationship and we're united behind the team. We understand Rafa's frustrations and we're committed to working with him and his advisors to find a solution here. We'll keep talking. I'm coming over for the Chelsea match and we'd already planned to get together on the 30th and 31st to talk over a number of issues. We'll clear up anything that's been talked about here and now we want to keep our focus on the pitch - we've got the derby coming up.

Journalist: Do you understand where he's coming from with regards to control over transfers?

Hicks: Well, Rafa's been frustrated for a long time now about the length of time it takes for certain things to happen, and I think he's just trying to, you know, position himself to be able to do his job better. There are balances that need to be achieved in English football and we'll work through these things.

Journalist: He's said in the past that he's been frustrated with the time things take - does he have a point there?

Hicks: Well, sure he does - but we can fix that, and we will.

Journalist: Are the problems highlighted today fixable?

Hicks: I'm absolutely comfortable in saying Rafa loves Liverpool and will be the manager.

Journalist: How do you move on from this. You say you have a meeting at the end of the month - is that where these things will be thrashed out?

Hicks: George and I will be working with the lawyers to get this resolved. I am just not worried about it at all.

Journalist: How will this affect things on the pitch, because you've said in the past that you're happy with how things are going on the pitch? Liverpool are going well, aren't they? Will this affect that?

Hicks: Oh, I hope not. That's why Rafa's advisors have wanted to slow things down and try to take attention away from this. They want to stay focused on the pitch.

Journalist: So in terms of your relationship with Rafa, and George's, how does that stand at the moment?

Hicks: You know, I have had a great relationship with Rafa in this past year. We talk often and e-mail even more often. I have had a lot of fun watching him doing a great job this year and we've got a great relationship.

Journalist: So to reiterate, do you feel as though the problems with the contract negotiations can be worked out?

Hicks: I do - I certainly do. There are certainly no issues between Rafa and the owners in any way. There are issues he wants to work out to make things better for the club.

Journalist: And as far as the season is going - how pleased are you?

Hicks: Well, you can't complain at being first. We'd have liked a couple more points last weekend but we've now got to worry about Everton on Monday.

Journalist: What's your message to any Liverpool fans out there?

Hicks: They should relax - Rafa is going to be manager of Liverpool for the next five years and we'll work through these little lawyer issues

Katta*
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 20:07

agree with Grace about Rafa... and byebye Pennant. Will someone miss him!? :unsure: *blush*

lfc7923
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2009, 20:10

nope .. but hten when he played aprt frm his first season ..he did well ..the goal against erm chelsea was gr8 .. but dnt u feel if he was given a chance more he wuld have done well ... but i thin he has issues with strict regimes ... he wuld love to party with the look of things

559 replies since 12/1/2009, 21:57   2705 views